She was the girl next door, daughter of Major Martin White who lived in the stone home on the hill. After purchasing land from Major White in 1875, John Markward, a German immigrant, built a small three-room cottage where he lived while running his mercantile on the square in Lampasas. He became quite successful and was a prominent figure in Lampasas. While living in the cottage he began courting the young and beautiful Adelphia. It wasn’t long before they realized they were in love and he promised to build her their dream home on his property. Construction of home was initiated in the late 1870s. When the home was completed in 1881, Adelphia and John were married at their new home – The Adelphia.
The cottage makes a perfect place for a bride to prepare for the big event and features a 100+ year old mirror from New Orleans that is not only perfect for checking the details but also for a photoshoot.